Book Review: Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins-Reid





 

Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins-Reid

The first book I read from Taylor Jenkins Reid is the famous book “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.” I was able to read that book through my kindle e-book reader, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading that book. I had huge expectations before reading the seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo because it was all over social media and people loved the book, so I thought I should start reading it to see what the craze was. Fortunately, I liked the book and even gave it a 5-star rating on my good reads account. I regretted that I didn’t buy the physical book since I love it, and maybe I would buy it someday if I decided to re-read it. I didn’t do a review for that book because there were already numerous people that had done that, so I decided to take a chance and read another book from the same author, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.

Daisy Jones & The Six is a book that tells a story of the dynamics of being in a band. At first, I didn't know if I would like the book because band life is not that interesting for me. The book starts by giving context to the life of Daisy Jones, who came from a privileged family and had problems that come from living in that particular setting. It was your typical rich girl's problem wherein the parents were not involved in their daughter, so it was inevitable for the girl to start spiralling down and making bad life decisions. In the case of Daisy Jones, it was like she had everything in her life but not her parents' attention, and it became a reason for her to search for someone to give it to her constantly. She was beautiful and enigmatic and made all men look in her direction. She's the girl that made other girls envious because of the carefree attitude that somehow seemed effortless for her. She is also an artist that will not settle if she can't do something about her works. The Six is a band that made rock n roll music composed of five men and one girl playing the keyboard. The leader of the band, Billy, has all the aspects that a producer and the audience have, and he knows that he possesses these qualities. The band's dynamics changed when the producer decided that the band needed to have a song featuring Daisy Jones to appeal to the mass audience since both wanted to make it big. By mixing two different kinds of artists, it was guaranteed to have issues because of their distinction in how they do their work. The problem arises, mix it with sex, drugs, cheating, marriage, and abortion, and you have all of these challenges that eventually became a reason for the band to disband (this is a funny sentence).


My thoughts on the book: 

I didn't expect the book to be made in an interview style, and I don't know why because I already read one of the author's books, which is similar to this. I didn't like this book compared to the Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo because it talks about many drugs, and I got fed up with it. It didn't help that I wasn't particularly liking Daisy's attitude because she was kind of annoying, to be honest, and Billy. I love both Camila and Karen because they set an excellent example of how a woman can be confident in their decisions and how they can have what they want even without the need of a man. They know what they wish they made an effort to get that even if somehow they hurt others, but the most important thing is that they would be satisfied in the end because they are so sure. The ending somehow didn't "wow" me since I was expecting it, but the only thing I was kinda surprised about is that Julia, the daughter of Billy and Camila, was interviewing all of the characters in this book. I know that Billy and Daisy would not end up with each other. I guess they would be, if I am not mistaken, because in the end, Camila died because of a disease, and she left a letter/email to Julia saying that it is okay for Billy and Daisy to see each other since she has already died or something. The book is not the best if I compared it to The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, but I finished it within two days of reading, so that says something about how entertaining it was. I was a bit let down after I finished the book because I was expecting to be blown away by what I experienced while reading her other book. I already bought "Malibu Rising" from the same author, and I heard good reviews from book tubers I followed; and I will let you know if I like it or not.


My highlighted sentences in the book:

" You do sometimes sit and wonder why it wasn't you, what makes you so special that you get to be safe. The world doesn't make much sense" page 27

"Drinking, drugging, sleeping around, it's all the same thing. You have these lines you won't cross. But then you cross them. And suddenly you possess the very dangerous information that you can break the rule and the world won't instantly come to an end. 
You've taken a big, black, bold line and you've made it a little bit gray. And now every time you cross it again, it just gets grayer and grayer until one day you look around and you think, There was a line here once, I think." This is something I am too scared to happen if I am in a serious relationship. I think that's why I don't want to commit to someone right now just to see and realize what I really like and what kind of individual I am looking for. 




"I think people that are too similar.... they don't mix well. I used to think soul mates were two of the same. I used to think I was supposed to look for somebody that was just like me.
    I don't believe in soul mates anymore and I'm not looking for anything. But if I did believe in them, I'd believe your soul mate was somebody who had all the things you didn't, that needed all the things you had. Not somebody who's suffering from the same stuff you are."

"I regret that marriage, but I do not regret that dress" slaaay




"At first, I think you start getting high to dull your emotions, to escape from them. But after a while you realize that the drugs are what are making your life untenable, they are actually what are heightening every emotion you have. It's making your heartbreak harder, your good times higher. So coming down really does start to feel like rediscovering sanity.
    And when you rediscover your sanity, it's only a matter of time before you start to get an inkling of why you wanted to escape it in the first place."


My rating for the book:  ★★★★☆

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.